Table Talk with Lawanna will provide education on the importance of mental health as well as dismantle the stigmas attached to mental health. Table Talk with Lawanna will provide education on holistic wellness, mental health issues & concerns, and encourage healthy self-care.
Table Talk with Lawanna aims to encourage and empower individuals:
- To establish boundaries
- Assist in identifying principles & values
- Release the pain, suffering, & disappointment from yesteryear that may be holding individuals back from living their ideal lives
- Allow individuals to get out of their minds and into their lives
With the focus being on self as it relates to the holistic or wheel of wellness perspective.
Holistic wellness or the Wheel of Wellness perspective places the self at the center and is surrounded by the seven life-tasks1. The seven life-tasks are:
- Emotional – Ability to understand ourselves and cope with the challenges life can bring
- Spiritual – Ability to establish peace & harmony in our lives
- Physical – Ability to maintain a healthy quality of life that allows us to get through daily tasks without undue fatigue or physical stress
- Social – Ability to establish & maintain positive relationships with family, friends, & co-workers, acquaintances, community
- Environmental – Ability to understand responsibility for the quality of air, water, land around us
- Intellectual – Ability to open our minds to new ideas & experiences that can be applied to personal decisions, group interaction, & community betterment
- Occupational – Ability to establish fulfillment in your job and knowing that has meaning highlighting skills, balancing finances, balancing obligations, and maintaining satisfaction
- In order to maintain both your mental and emotional health, it is vital to stay aware of your own needs and feelings.
- Never allow your stress and emotions to build up.
- Attempt to maintain a good balance between your normal responsibilities and the things you enjoy.
- Do things that positively affect others.
- Being useful to others and being valued for what you do can help build self-esteem.
1) Practice self-discipline. Self-discipline leads to a sense of happiness and accomplishment, which may assist you in overcoming feelings of helplessness and other negative thoughts
2) Learn or discover new things. Think of them as “intellectual sweets”. Suggestions: Take an enrichment
Class, join a book club, visit a museum, walk around the park, or meditate
1 Wheel of wellness or holistic wellness has been adapted from Myers, J. E., Sweeney, T. J., & Witmer, J. M. (2000). The wheel of wellness counseling for wellness: A holistic model for treatment planning. Journal of Counseling and Development: JCD, 78(3), 251